Here are 7 statistics taken from The Children’s Heart Foundation
1. Congenital heart defects are America’s #1 birth defect. Nearly one of every 100 babies is born with a CHD.
2. Congenital heart defects occur frequently and are often life threatening, yet research into them is grossly under funded.
3. More than 50% of all children born with a congenital heart defect will require at least one invasive surgery in their lifetime.
4. Congenital heart defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths.
5. There are 35 different types of congenital heart defects. Little is known about the cause of most them. There is not yet a cure for any of them.
6. This year almost 40,000 babies will be born with a congenital heart defect. 4,000 of them will not live to see their first birthday.
7. In the last decade death rates for congenital heart defects have declined by almost 30% due to advances made through research.