My two cents worth for parents of a child with CHD or any other serious illness
1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions – and the same question numerous times at that! You need to know everything you can about what is going on. No question is a stupid question.
2. Speak out if you think something is wrong – you know your loved one best.
3. Join a support group when you feel ready – we didn’t feel ready until after the surgery because it all came on so suddenly. Not only can you recieve support, but give it as well.
4. Ask for help when you need it.
5. Accept help when it is offered – you need someone to lean on and they want to help in any way they can.
6. Cherish every moment.
7. Treat your child as normally as possible – encourage them to experience life to its fullest capacity.